THANKSGIVING TABLECAPE IDEAS WITH THRIFT

As mentioned last week, I took a day (or so) to prep and plan out this years Thanksgiving tablestyling. Prepping a head of time simple tasks like polishing the silverware, cleaning the stemware, and choosing which serveware will be used for the table (or buffet) will all help save time the day of Thanksgiving (you'll even have time to catch the Macy's parade on TV!). By setting up some place settings earlier, you can also factor in how you'll serve, who is sitting where, whether or not additional seating is needed, adding the table leaf and even edit down some of the table decor (to make space for all that yummy food!) Featured here are some table styles I created, before adding a table leaf in. Even though this year will be small (only my mom and her friend Marcia) it will still be special... simply styled from thrift plus a few finds from HomeGoods...


Serve-ware spoons and Lenox silverware I picked up at HomeGoods...






Glazed pinecone salt & pepper shakers from HomeGoods are perfect for the Fall & Winter season...






Colored glass stemware: Orange from Pier one and the Amber glasses are from Collin Cowie when his line was at JCP...


It was the first I set in a series (or marathon lol). When styling the table, I also take into consideration the 'mood' of the space it's set in. A quick update to the existing Autumn decor in the space was to simply paint the mirror gold...





Since I wanted to relate the feathered centerpiece to the table (I was using at this time on the buffet), I incorporated some of extra feathers to the branch. The branch was previously on the buffet for a fall vignette, but I was really liking the organic look the simple branch added to the table. The twig runners I already had (previously they were black). By spray painting table elements like the runners, the pumpkins and the feather container the same gold as the mirror, it gives the space a harmonious look, feel, and glow. This shade of gold (Rustoleum Metallic Gold Rush) also paired well with the newly polished thrifted brass candlestick holders.



Table textiles, like runners and napkins are an affordable way to add a chic look to your Thanksgiving table... My go to source for pretty patterns on these textiles is HomeGoods...



The twig runner from HomeGoods was a great find - Easy way to add layer & texture - plus it was also easy to refresh by spraying gold...


Keeping dishes all white makes it easy to add texture or replace them due to breakage, whether you shop HomeGoods or thrift...


Speaking of thrifted, the leaf plates I had found at Salvation Army for .25 paired well with the glazed dinner plates I found for $1 at Goodwill. I also tried a gold rimmed dessert plate I had found while thrifting. Either one works, but I think I'm going to leave the gold rim plate for Christmas and go with the leaf plates. Another gold finish leaf element on the table are the Dollar Store leaves I also painted gold. I didn't use all of them - just a few down the center, along with some acorns. The golden brown of the acorns picks up on the Colin Cowie Amber Glass stemware (I had used last year for our Christmas tablescape). His glass also pairs well with the orange goblets I found at Pier One about four years ago. The goblet is great to hold ice water. The brown & gold paisley napkins I found at HomeGoods back in August (only $4 for 4). They probably were the inspiration to go gold this year...

 
Thrifted leaf dessert plate .25 each
Thrifted glazed dinner plates $1 each


Thrifted gold rim dessert plate .50 each
Big Lots orange pumpkin sprayed gold $1 each



Thrifted white & gold speckled pedestal bowl $5
Dollar Store fall leaves sprayed gold $1

Although the original thought was to have incorporated the feathered centerpiece, without the leaf in the table it was just too much. Using the branch keeps the the centerpiece low profile and more conducive to conversation. I mixed in some real white gourds I had picked up while grocery shopping one day, along with some of the gold painted leaves. To add some height and shine, I used metal pillar holders I had and slipped a glass cylinder over one.
 
Thrifted glazed serving bowl $2
Later on - I added to the pumpkins - a gold leaf with an initial for place settings...

Even though the existing urns with branches I had up for September and October looked nice for a fall inspired space, they aren't practical for Thanksgiving day. They were taking up space needed for people, so I relocated them into the living room, and switched them for two plant stands, which are better suited for the space. That change caused me to switch the orange goblets for clear red wine glasses (I got at HomeGoods years ago!), which can be also used for ice water or tea...

HomeGoods gold paisley napkins 4pk. at $4 added a gold pattern...

the branch was free!




Pheasant feather sprays $1
Brass candlestick holders at $2.50 a pair
Big Lots pumpkins sprayed cream & Dollar store leaves sprayed gold


Finally got to use these PB acorn candles I got about
four seasons ago (end of season clearance 4 at $4)

Extra side chair if needed, was another thrifted find at only $5.



Khaki & gray pillow covers worked as slipper covers for the chairs.
Thankfully, stores like HomeGoods sell pairs from only $8.
That's a huge savings when you consider some slip covers can be $20+ each.
(just need to press before guests arrive!)


Since the hubs works retail and has to be up in Boynton Beach ... hmmm... about 3am (and leave here about 2am) to open the store for 4am the next day (Black Friday), we'll be eating early... but the evening look of candlelight sure was pretty to see...

I like seeing the mood change with different lighting...



While setting the space I also noticed how bright and warm the space got during the day - so yes - I switched out the sheers for woven panels. Although they are panels, the weave still allows natural light through, but blocks out some of the heat.


Table styled after adding leaf and changing mood
to a more wintery look.

This week I'll share some more tablestyling tips & ideas, along with fall decor editing to prepare for not only Thanksgiving, but Winter. Some other previous posts you may enjoy reading are:




Think. Plan. Execute... especially for the holidays!
Thanks for stopping by!





I'LL BE LINKING THIS POST TO:




 Post Update: Shared on the HomeGoods - Happy By Design board on Pinterest.






15 comments:

  1. I want to be your guest! Such a wonderful table setting - Love the golden pumpkins and the acorn candles - But the whole table look so effortless even when I know I took you a while to prepare.

    Tre Chic!

    Happy Thanksgiven!

    Iván

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the ideas. I'm hosting our 10th annual girls Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow night and I don't even know where to start. I pulled out some pumkins and set some of the linens. Ahh! You make this look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda! I'm catching up and wow! Beautiful Thanksgiving decorating inspiration! I love the thrifty finds (which look like $$$). Great job! Thank you so much for sharing at the DIY Show Off! ;)

    Have a great week!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  4. This tablescape is so full and inviting. I know anyone who dines here will certainly enjoy themselves. Amazing job!

    http://g-w-hunting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post!! Thanks for sharing such an wonderful information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how pretty. I love all of the natural elements. Everything is gorgeous. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all looks very pretty. I like the white plates against the fall colors and I like the light.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for taking us through the thought process. Your table is wonderful. I love the branch down the center of the table. what a difference switching out the glasses made! happy Thanksgivings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just posted my centerpiece Wednesday and highlighted a photo from your post. Come by and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lynda, I love the branch used as a centerpiece - fabulous! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party - I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this today - Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you are enjoying your week. ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so honored Stephanie! many thanks to you for the mention (I put your button on the sidebar)and thanks Karin (Style Sisters) for the mention too!

    Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment - Marlis, hip-chic, Marty, water softeners, Rashon, Roeshel, and Ivan!! Happy to see you all enjoyed the post.

    JandJHome - I guess after working in display for 25yrs, a little of it rubbed off and that's where the ease comes from :D

    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! Thanks for following FP xo
    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you brought natural elements and textures onto your table!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an absolutely lovely table you have created AND without spending a fortune. That makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elegant...sophisticated....great eye for design. I'm just amazed at what so many bloggers are doing with a can of gold spray paint! Your work is an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your charming tablescapes. Happy Thanksgiving! Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank Envoy-ette and lulumusing! Cherry - the funny thing is for YEARS I couldn't STAND gold and now I think almost every piece I had sprayed silver because it WAS gold... is ironically back to gold again... lol It's just so warming and I really like it paired with silver.

    Mixing Metal love...
    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails